Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mother's Day

Just in time for Mother's Day is this hilarious piece on Moms communicating with their kids. It made me laugh out aloud so many times I wanted to share it. Also, it is reassuring to know I am not the only one who sometimes needs to take deep breaths and think happy thoughts when communicating with Mom. Here is a typical example of what happens.

10:00 am Phone rings.

Mom: Hello! Its me, Mom!
Me: Hi Mom.
Mom: Whats the matter? Your voice doesn't sound right. You were always prone to sore throats. Remember, how you ate too much ice cream when you were 12 and the sore throat..
Me: Its not ..
Mom...lasted for 2 months. You musn't neglect it. I will email you the recipe for herbal tea, ok?
Me: I dont..
Mom: Let me know if it works.
Me: Yes, but..

10:20 am Phone rings

Mom: Did you check your mail? I just finished writing out the recipe.
Me: Yes, I did and I..
Mom: Its really easy. If you don't like honey, try some syrup but don't leave out the peppercorns and the herbs, very important...
(At this point, I had decided to just go along with the supposed sore throat instead of pointing out that owing to a late night I had woken up 5 minutes before she called and thats my voice sounded weird.)
Me: Yes, and I..
Mom: Also, drink it really hot. You always used to let yours stand around and get cold.
Me (enraged): Ma, you already emailed me, why are you wasting money and time repeating the same thing on phone??
Short silence.
Mom (in icy cold voice): Ok.
Click, she rings off.

10:45 am

Me: Hello Mom? I am drinking the tea and its very soothing, thanks.
Mom ( somewhat thawed): Good, I knew it would work. Don't know why you get all upset. Remember , you liked that tablecloth I had, I got you the same one in green and....

I listen and drink my coffee, making occasional soothing noises.

No comments: