Wednesday, March 19, 2008

In Memorium, Arthur C. Clarke

Today's news about the passing away of Arthur C. Clarke stopped me in my tracks. "What?" I said to the TV. Peaches and Popcorn looked worried, "What happened?" , they asked. Well, its hard to explain but it takes me back to a long time ago when there was no widespread TV or the Internet and books were the only escape into a different world. Novels like "Childhood's End", "Rendevous with Rama" and short stories like "The Nine Billion Names of God" brought a new and awesome vision of the world, more fantastic than one could have imagined. I can still remember, as a teenager, staying up the whole night to finish "Childhood's End" at one sitting. Arthur C. Clarke's books were not just science fiction but had an almost mystic element to them. They will always remain with me, and hopefully, Peaches and Popcorn will take that fantastic journey themselves one day.
Thank you and Farewell. Wherever you are in the Universe, may you be in peace.

1 comment:

Dish said...

I hope the kids really do take the journey down the Arthur C. Clarke road, a fantastic one for sure.